Macys.com, founded in 1858 by Rowland H. Macy, opened it's first store in New York City under the name "R. H. Macy & Co.". On it's first day, Macy's did $11.08 in sales which is comparable to $303 in today's dollars. Macy's currently operates 751 department stores with Macy's Herald Square being the largest with over 1.1 million square feet and an estimated value of $3-$4 billion. As of 2016, Macy's enjoys sales revenue numbers of over $27 billion making it the 15th largest retailer in the United States (as of 2015). Macy's is a publicly traded company under NYSE: M with a market cap of over $11 billion. Macy's owns a variety of insurance agencies as well as numerous thrift and department stores, including Bloomingdale's.
Promotions & Coupons
Macy's Fun Facts:
- The First Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was held in 1924 and was originally called Macy's Christmas Parade.
- When Macy's first opened in 1858, the total sales were $11.06 which is comparable to $303 in today's dollars.
- It is estimated that over 20 million shoppers visit the Macy's Herald Square location each year.
- The star in Macy's logo was born when Rowland H. Macy attributed a shining star to helping him find his way home while lost at sea. The first star appeared in in ad in 1861.
- In 1902, Macy's Herald Square was one of the first department stores with an escalator.
- Macy's July 4th fireworks display in New York City fires off about 50,000 shells per show.
A-Z Review: 4.97/5 Stars
While Macy's is a company that should technically be receiving 5 out of 5 stars, we at A-Z Reviewer feel that Macy's still has a bit of work to do, particularly with their online shopping experience. Shipping time typically take longer than we'd like with our average experience being roughly 5-7 days. With companies like Amazon and Walmart offering services like Amazon Prime and ShippingPass, that is just too long for us. Additionally, while Macy's offers local store pickup, the inventory selection in your local store may be spotty. We've had experiences where, once an item is purchased and 'local store pickup' is selected, one or more items was later determined to be unavailable and was then cancelled. Overall, we do highly recommend shopping at Macy's online but see our recommendations below to make for the smoothest possible experience.
If you do not already have one, get a Macy's Credit Card. Not only is it a good way to help build credit, you can also save 20% on day 1 and 2 from opening, up to $100. Also, keep an eye on the Macy's Deals & Coupons page. Updated often, you'll find a variety of savings with sitewide as well as category and brand coupons. Lastly, take a look at Macy's Online Rebate Offers - you may find an item you've been waiting to go on sale listed, allowing for additional savings on your purchase.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK BY LEAVING FEEEDBACK BELOW.