eBay.com, founded in 1995, is one of the world's largest e-commerce sites offering many forms of sale including auctions, buy-it-now from consumer to consumer and business to consumer. eBay has websites in over 30 countries worldwide and owns many 'household-name' subsidiaries including Paypal, Shopping.com, StubHub & many more. eBay is always a great place to purchase just about anything as the natural competition allows for lower pricing and the customer feedback allows a buyer to decide who they'd like to purchase from.
eBay Fun Facts:
- eBay originally launched as "AuctionWeb".
- The first item sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer for $14.83.
- Back in 2008, a gentleman named Jack Sheng was the first to reach a feedback score of 1,00,000. eBay honored his accomplishment by creating the shooting star for his profile and named a conference room after him.
- The most expensive item ever sold on eBay was a $168 million, 405 foot yacht. The second was a Gulfstream II jet. The jet sold for a measly $4.9 million.
- While most folks associate eBay with auctions, over 70% of eBay sales are "Buy It Now" items.
A-Z Review: 4.98/5 Stars
The beauty of an open marketplace like eBay is that, with healthy seller competition, product pricing tends to fall significantly lower than you'll find elsewhere. You'll also find products on eBay you'll literally never see listed anywhere else. Collectibles, toys and cars (eBay Motors) are a few of their hidden gem categories.
Unfortunately, with as many sellers as they eBay has, there tends to be some struggle with consistency. Shipping may vary seller to seller, customer service may vary by seller and, when you have unlicensed sellers, you may not receive some of the benefits you'll find elsewhere - benefits like extended return time, warranties and phone access for customer service are a few examples. That is why eBay gets a 4.98 out of 5 by our reviewers.
Always look at seller reviews before making a purchase. eBay is very transparent when it comes letting buyers know what previous buyers' experiences have been. It will save you a lot of heartache in the future.
When possible, try to purchase from one of the larger, reputable stores. Well-known stores like Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us, Newegg, Wayfair & Overstock all have accounts on eBay. The beauty of purchasing from these stores via eBay is that, most of the time, you're receive Fast 'n Free Shipping. If you were to go direct to their sites, shipping time and price may cost you more.
Check the eBay Deals section daily. eBay updates their daily deals section every day at 11 am EST / 8 am PST. eBay has been known to subsidize sellers' prices to be able to offer you, the consumer, an even better deal, often best-of-web pricing.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK BY LEAVING FEEEDBACK BELOW.